TourismPublished: December 2023
Chichen Itza is a majestic and fascinating site, its architecture, history and cultural significance make it one of the most impressive archaeological destinations in the world.
Every day it receives more than 7,000 visitors, who are fascinated by its mysticism and fascinating architecture, as well as by the impressive cenotes that surround it, making it a place we definitely recommend you to visit.
Before starting the journey, we share with you some interesting facts you should know to enjoy this incredible site to the fullest.
- Chichen Itza was an important city for the Mayan civilization from the Classic to the Postclassic period. Its peak as a political and economic center occurred between the 7th and 10th centuries A.D. Its name means "Mouth of the well of the Itzaes". The Itzaes were a cultural group that, according to legend, settled in the region and founded the city.
- It is home to a number of architectural and natural wonders including: El Observatorio, la Gran Cancha de Pelota, el Templo de los Guerreros, el Cenote Sagrado, among others.
- Its most emblematic structure is the Pyramid of Kukulcan, also known as El Castillo. It is a stepped pyramid that has four sides with 91 steps each, totaling 364 steps in all. The top platform completes the total of 365, representing the days of the current calendar year.
- One of the most impressive features of the construction of Chichen Itza is that it was designed with remarkable astronomical precision.
- During the equinoxes, a phenomenon of light and shadow occurs that creates the illusion of a snake descending the pyramid's staircase. Year after year, during the beginning of spring, which occurs every March 21 -and also in autumn, on September 22- hundreds of visitors gather in front of the pyramid's esplanade to contemplate this solar spectacle.
- In 1988, UNESCO declared Chichen Itza a World Heritage Site, and in 2007 it was recognized as one of the New Wonders of the World.
If you are on vacation at Riviera Maya, this is a place that you definitely must visit. And to take a pleasant memory of this site, don't forget to visit Los Cinco Soles Store at Airshops at the Airport, where you will find a great variety of details and unique gifts such as; gold and silver accessories, rings, necklaces, lotions and perfumes, among many other souvenirs that will undoubtedly be a nice souvenir for your loved ones when you return home.